You must have come across these diets every now and then but you wouldn’t have known what they are called. FAD diets promise super quick weight loss through diets that are unbalanced and unhealthy. These diets claim to help you lose fat when in reality you are losing muscle.
How to spot a FAD diet?
- It promises quick weight loss
- Lacks scientific evidence to support claims
- Promises results without exercise
- Sounds too good to be true
Here are some crazy FAD Diets:
Dr. Sanford’s cookie diet aims at helping you lose weight by eating 9 specially formulated cookies throughout the day. Although you are allowed to eat 500-700 calories, each cookie provides just 60 Kcal which puts the total calorie consumption at 1000-1200 calories. This ensures weight loss!
Five bite Diet
Created by Alwin Lewis, this diet works on a simple principle – Eat less to lose weight. You are allowed to have only five bites of food during each meal. This allows one to have large bites of high calorie foods too! You will not cross over 800 calories by following this diet and lose weight.
The lemonade diet consists of a salt water to cleanse, lemonade and a laxative tea. This is said to help lose a lot of weight over a short period of time. This is to be followed for 10-16 days after which you start including soups, fruits and vegetables. This diet completely excludes dairy.
Baby food Diet
This phenomenon was started by Celebrity Trainer Tracy Anderson, the diet makes you eat 10-14 jars of baby food (40-70 Kcal) for breakfast and lunch. You can have a normal meal for your dinner and will still eat less than 1000 Kcal a day!
Cabbage soup Diet
This diet requires you to eat huge amounts of cabbage soup over a period of 7 days. During this time you can also eat certain fruits and vegetables, beef, chicken and brown rice according to a schedule. This diet helps you to lose weight but should not be followed for a long period of time.
Problems with FAD diets:
- Poor long term weight control – Once you stop these diets and continue with your regular diet, you gain back the lost weight in no time. This is because you have mostly lost water and not fats.
- Risk of deficiencies – Most of these diets put you on the same food for days and thus can cause nutritional deficiencies of vitamins and minerals
- Ketosis – Diets that are low in carbohydrates puts your body into ketosis. Over a period of time, ketosis can become dangerous and can lead to dehydration and alter the pH of the blood!
- Tiredness and fatigue – Most of these diets don’t provide you with the energy needed for your daily activities and can leave you feeling sluggish for days
Though FAD diets help you lose weight in days, you must remember that it is extremely easy to gain back the lost weight once you stop the diet. Most of these diets help you lose water and not fat. Fat loss requires a healthy, balanced diet and exercise. You need to put in time and effort to lose fat in a safe way which will not risk your health and well being.
Bodyfuelz Fatburner contains L-Carnitine which is 100% natural and helps you shed those kilos through diet and exercise!