It’s that time of the year when you indulge in sweets and fried goodies.
Yes, I’m talking about Diwali!
You know you have eaten a lot of unhealthy food and it’s time to get rid of those toxins and get back on track – Detox. The aim of any detox plan is to detoxify the liver, kidneys and the bowel.
First things first, please don’t starve. You might have eaten excessively and gained weight over the last few days but starving yourself is not the solution. Eat less and eat healthy. Include lots of salads in your food. Eat 5-6 small meals instead of having 2-3 heavy meals.
Here are some ways to detox:
Squeeze half a lemon and add it to a glass of lukewarm water. Have this on an empty stomach. Contrary to popular belief, this does not help you lose weight. Instead it flushes out the toxins out of your body.
This is a classic combination of apple, beetroot and carrot. It is filled with antioxidants and nutrients. Avoid adding sugar or honey and add lemon or ginger to zing it up! Best when consumed immediately.
Green tea smoothie
This yummy drink is super easy to make. Add spinach, apple and yoghurt to chilled green tea and blend to a smoothie. This is filled with antioxidants and phytonutrients.
This juice is a combination of water melon, cucumber and mint. It contains antioxidants and vitamins. Add a splash of lemon juice to make it tangy and refreshing!
Honey ginger rush
Add apple cider vinegar, ginger juice and honey to lukewarm water. This is one of the best remedies for cold/sore throat as well. On an empty stomach, it flushes out all the toxins from your body.
Here are some tips to recoup your health post Diwali:
1. Cut back on sugar – Try and avoid using refined sugar. Have a lot of fruits to satisfy your sugar cravings. If you are unable to completely avoid sugar, have little but in the form of honey, jaggery, coconut sugar, palm sugar, etc
2. Eat small, frequent and light meals - Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Include salads everyday in your meal!
3. Avoid carbonated beverages and packaged juices – Beware of juices and sodas as they contain high amounts of sugar. Opt for fresh fruit juices without sugar.
4. Get enough sleep – Ensure you get around 7-8 hours of sleep to repair your muscles and for a healthy cell development. Good sleep has also been linked with optimal insulin secretion.
5. Exercise - Burn the calories you have gained by indulging in activities like walking, dancing, swimming, aerobics, etc. Try to work out for at least 30 minutes every day to stay fit and healthy!
Detox is great for you! They help your body get rid of toxins and boost energy. Detox cleanses the liver, promotes healthy digestion and good skin. Try these tips to get back in shape and lose the extra flab gained during Diwali. Healthy diet and exercise is the perfect combination for fitness.